We're a Canadian couple in our thirties who are about to adopt our first child. We know she'll be a girl, we know she'll between the ages of 2-4 years old, and we know our carefree days of spending money on crap and sleeping in on weekends are about to be over...



Friday, August 13, 2010

We Got Our Date!


We have our date! We have our date! Our appt is Sept 2nd in Kiev, at 10am!

God, it's so exciting, I don't even know where to begin. We got the news on Monday over the phone from our lady at the agency. When I hung up my hands were shaking. It took the entire night to fully sink in, and I admit, for the small knot of terror to go away. This is it! It's really happening! We are weeks away from seeing our daughter's face, this mysterious pixelated space that is soon to be revealed, then we'll never be able to un-know it. It's crazy. Crazier I think than giving birth because when you have a baby, it's still this little mushy thing that reveals itself each day as they grow. But with a toddler, they are already themselves. Right now I'm to excited to think of anything but all the happy stuff, but I guess the downside that will hit me later will be how sad it will be to have missed those beautiful baby months. Anyhow, I'm not focused on that because I am just so happy and in love with the thought of meeting our sweet little honeybee half a world away.

So tonight as I'm racing around cleaning up the debris of my week-long sewing escapade (8 orders for cat dresses! Oy!) I finally cracked open an old box of CDs and began to match the empty cases to the ghost discs. Of course, I stumbled across a ton of great music that I haven't listened to in ages, so cleaning kind of went out the window while I played DJ for a while. It also got me thinking about how lucky myself & my sister were to have pretty young parents growing up. One thing I really loved was that our house was filled with music- some of my happiest memories were of dancing in our rec room with my mom to the Bee Gees (Saturday Night Fever) and inventing the "inchworm dance" with my sister, M, to the delight of our dad. (Imagine doing the worm on the floor, but instead of rippling from your toes to your head, we lay on our backs and went sideways instead. OK, it wasn't much of a dance per se, but it was still fun!) I think growing up in a house with music on all the time made a huge impact in my life, although I can't play anything myself. I did work for a record company throughout high school and university though, also something I treasure and wouldn't have changed for the world. One of the things I really hope to transmit to our kid is a love of music & the arts in general. On Saturdays I would ride on the back of my dad's motorcycle into the city to go to my ballet class, then afterwards I would go to an art class for kids at the city's art gallery. Our parents were amazing about this- whatever we wanted to try, they encouraged. I know I will do the same thing for our daughter, no matter what her talents may be, even if I can't personally relate to them. I think the greatest thing you can do is expose your kids to a world of stuff so they are genuinely curious about the world around them, and then let them fly. It's going to be such fun discovering the world again through the perspective of a little kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment