We're a Canadian couple in our thirties who are about to adopt our first child. We know she'll be a girl, we know she'll between the ages of 2-4 years old, and we know our carefree days of spending money on crap and sleeping in on weekends are about to be over...



Friday, July 30, 2010

Fate Has Sealed The Deal!

As of yesterday, fate has now determined the rest of our lives.

Yesterday was D-Day. (Or really I should say, "F-Day"... F for filed!) Our info was reviewed by the Ukrainian government, and entered into their magic database in Kiev, which spat out our date to appear at the central office for Child Services, or as they call it, our "invitation to travel letter". Now the wheels are in full motion. Whatever that date ends up being, we are to appear at their offices to review the files for children that happen to come up that day as being eligible for adoption. It's all synchronicity from here on in- we choose a child from the presented dossiers, and then we are given governmental permission to go visit them in the orphanage, wherever in the country that may be. If it's a good match for everyone, then we petition the court for formal adoption. And that's that!

I woke up at 6am out of the blue with butterflies in my stomach, wondering if by some cosmic connection at the same time in Kiev if it was because our file was being dated right then. I couldn't get back to sleep! I love thinking about how somehow in my life, all the good things are plotted out like beads on a string, intersecting in a zig-zaggy way. I feel like everything up to now has been leading me to this pin point in time- two beams of light coming closer and closer to each other until they finally meet and cross. We're almost there. It's such a peaceful feeling, knowing it's all out of our hands and that God is taking care of it all, like the best travel agent possible. I nearly feel heavy with happiness, like mercury flowing through my veins, rooting me to the ground. I think when I finally meet her, it's going to feel like "Hello. Of course- it's you. Finally you are here." Like discovering something you've always already known. More like remembering than meeting for the first time. How much I love her already!

No comments:

Post a Comment