We're a Canadian couple in our thirties who are about to adopt our first child. We know she'll be a girl, we know she'll between the ages of 2-4 years old, and we know our carefree days of spending money on crap and sleeping in on weekends are about to be over...



Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Official Excitement REALLY Begins!











Well this is it!

Today is the day we are officially DONE. There is nothing more to fill out, nothing more to hand in, nothing more to wait for someone to send back to us... every scrap of paperwork is now complete. I drove down to our agency this afternoon, the sun blazing away in a blue, blue sky and I was reminded about a day just like this one, last year when we got the word that we were approved for our line of credit to facilitate the adoption process. It's incredible to think that a year has already gone by. Sometimes it feels like it's flown other times it feels like it's been a looooong time coming, but we are finally here!

I climbed the 3 flights of stairs in the old schoolhouse building with the everlasting scents of floor cleaner and damp cardboard- a smell I still love from my own childhood- and I felt my feet were flying on their own accord. I dropped off the Interpol papers to the fresh-faced summer intern, who had the enthusiam only a student who still believes "they can change the world!" can possess and that was that. On the way down the stairs I couldn't stop smiling. When I got to the bottom a tiny little leaf was on the last step waiting to blow across my toes. I picked it up to keep it as a reminder, it felt like a little sign of a heavenly thumbs-up.



Then I came home and popped into Shoppers to pick up a package that was waiting for me and I passed their bargain cart of stuff which I assume they had to clear out because of date codes on the price tags or something. It was all there, a mini shopping bonanza like it was intended just for me: loads of toddler training diaper-pants, overnight ones, powdered Pedialyte, toddler sippy cups with a clip you can attach to a seat or something and some handy wipes. Up to a couple of months ago, I kind of just assumed the kid would be already potty trained- but really, who knows? Plus the added stress of all the newness and travelling might cause a bit of regression in that area of life, so I bought a couple of packs down from $25 to $11.49. Hey, if we don't need them we can always donate them to the orphanage. Yes, I am even excited at the thought of diapers, folks. I'm getting together an area in her room to put all of this stuff so we don't forget anything at the last minute. Well, the last minute that is still about 6 weeks away! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment