We're a Canadian couple in our thirties who are about to adopt our first child. We know she'll be a girl, we know she'll between the ages of 2-4 years old, and we know our carefree days of spending money on crap and sleeping in on weekends are about to be over...



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Couch Cushions and Little Chairs

We're putting the finishing touches on M's bedroom, as we finish the last bit of waiting. Today we set up her white cast iron bed, and the office now looks like a real little girl's room! Yesterday I spent in the personal hell that is Ikea buying 2 little chairs and a play table. Tomorrow my intention is to head down and pick up a couple of canvases to paint some artwork, or to begin making curtains.It was nice sitting down to takeout Indian supper tonight together, and I said to O, "Hey, you just put together your daughter's bed!" And we both smiled into our onion bajhis.

I think about how the energy is going to totally change in the house with a little kid around. I feel like that once she's here it will be like she's always been here, the 3 of us and the cats. O is worried that it might feel weird. Of course it's going to feel weird at first- it's such a huge change. But I feel in my guts that everything is going to fit together like puzzle pieces, and that calm happiness buoys me up on the days I say, "OMG, what are we doing?!"

Another thing I think about is how when you adopt, you are not as conscious of an obvious timeline until the main event, the way you are when you have an expanding stomach that everyone in the world comments upon. So I find myself telling strangers about the adoption- like, if I am in line buying a toy or a couple of books, I say it to the cashier. I just can't help it! And people are always so sweet- asking from which country, a boy or a girl, how old, etc. It's really nice, ha, maybe it even gives me a bit of a fake "glow". We're about 6 weeks away now. Part of me would like to shove a pillow under my shirt when I go out in public just so when people ask, I can say we're adopting and bask in that happiness that people feel when they share good news. Hey, with the part of town that we live in, do ya think a lady with an obvious couch cushion under her shirt would cause a second look? Nobody even bats an eye with some of the weirdos around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment