We're a Canadian couple in our thirties who are about to adopt our first child. We know she'll be a girl, we know she'll between the ages of 2-4 years old, and we know our carefree days of spending money on crap and sleeping in on weekends are about to be over...



Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bunnies, Bunnies, Everywhere

bunny

I’ve neglected to talk about this yet mainly because I’ve been spending a good amount of time thinking about it and truth be told, I’ve enjoyed having this little secret and wearing it inside like a gem.

Before we left of course I said some prayers about how I hoped everything would work out and if possible, to please get some sort of sign that I would understand as such. After that I just let everything go and had the peaceful knowledge that somehow I would know if or when it would happen.

Well, it happened in the most unusual but obvious way. While we were on the plane in Paris waiting on the runway to depart for Kiev I happened to look out the window and I saw a greyish-brown bunny out in the middle of nowhere, hopping through the grass oblivious to the roar of the aircraft engines and gigantic moving planes all around it coming in and off the runways. I smacked Oisin on the arm and told him to look out the window- but it was too late. The rabbit had disappeared from sight somewhere in the grass. I continued to watch the entire time we waited on the runway hoping to see it again, but it was gone for good. Our plane began to rumble off, and we departed.

Here in Kiev, I continue to see rabbits in the funniest and most unexpected places. Oisin, who doesn’t believe in any of this type of thing tells me it’s the same principle as learning a new word then reading it and hearing it everywhere- it’s just an attention thing. Well, I’m pretty sensitive to paying attention to visual stuff all around me all the time, and I *do* think there is something more to it. It is too strange to me to just be an “everyday” coincidence.

I’m seeing tiny rabbit figurines for sale in the subways, I’m seeing stuff like an advertisement for “Lapin House” on a moveable billboard that is frozen for ages until the light finally changes and I have to walk away, I saw a calendar with a giant white rabbit hanging on it while we ordered an ice cream cone from a kiosk on the street. I went to look for a stuffed teddy bear to take to the orphanage, and there were some adorable bunnies- so I bought one instead. Bunnies on painted trinket boxes, tiny glass bunnies made by peddlers sold on the street, rabbits, rabbits everywhere. It is weird. And good! So I’m thinking about rabbit symbolism in Eastern European culture and beyond, and what it all means.

The main thing I am getting over and over (aside from the obvious fertility connection) is that rabbits are agile and extremely sensitive to the world around them, and spend much of the time looking for danger. This is a tiring way to live, and indeed rabbits have short life spans, perhaps partially due to the energy expended on this never-ending quest. Also, rabbits need to make quick decisions and take opportunities that present themselves at the time they are presented: hemming and hawing may cost a lifetime of regret. Also, rabbits are a symbol of spring and re-birth and celebration. Isn’t this something? I have to keep closing my jaw. It’s just too strange!

The best stuff I read is about animal spirit guides, on this link about Native American culture and beliefs. It is fascinating. So now I’m going to hop into the shower, get dressed and head out into the beautiful sunny, hot day for a cup of the most delicious coffee (seriously, I don’t know how I’m going to live again without it back home- it’s so good, it’s like dessert with the happiness it gives you) and I’m going to walk around with a revived sense of peace and happy anticipation for whatever comes next. And maybe see a few more rabbits.

http://www.manataka.org/page291.html

3 comments:

  1. Funny....... long story short (to get the full version, we'll just have to get together LOL), I sold my home - consequently to an emotional breakdown you could say - and moved on July 23rd..... from day one i have been seing 2 bunnies hopping around this new area... I too am like you and believe in some sort of connection..... I am super visual and doubly so when it comes to animals... always have been. Believe and find your little bunny :) Enjoy the coffee, maybe you could smuggle some of that instead of the yogurt! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carly.. first thing I thought of when I read this is the Chinese zodiac. I looked it up.. low and behold, you were born in the year of the rabbit and next year 2011 is year of the rabbit! Curious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly just finish reading your past few days my heart is going out to you and I really would love to give you a big Hug. Wishing you all the best and yes that rabbit will help you in your quest. Hugs Charlene

    ReplyDelete