We're a Canadian couple in our thirties who are about to adopt our first child. We know she'll be a girl, we know she'll between the ages of 2-4 years old, and we know our carefree days of spending money on crap and sleeping in on weekends are about to be over...



Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Kitten, a Chicken and Some Swans

I haven’t updated in a couple of days because there hasn’t been much happening. My dreams at night are more interesting than what’s been going on in the daytime, ha. I do have good news about the kitten though- the next day, I needed to go grocery shopping because this new apt actually has an oven this time, so I wanted to roast a chicken. I love cooking so much, that when I can’t do it, I feel like my arms have been cut off. And nothing makes me more excited than going to a local market to see what they have, especially in a place like this where chicken isn’t going to come from an industrial factory-farm but somebody’s own chicken coop in the backyard. Anyhow, the market is on route to the Supermarket (Billa) where the kitten was stuck. Ois forbid me to go back there because he didn’t want me upset for the whole day if nothing seemed to be happening, but of course that was the first place I went as soon as I left the house. I had knots in my stomach the whole way. It didn’t seem too plausible that anybody would care that much for a stray kitten when there were goats on the road and hot dog water soup being served in other parts of the country. As soon as I rounded the corner though, I happened to catch sight of a man with some sort of hacksaw going into the basement of the store, and already the awning off the vent was removed and there was a ladder down the drop. I was so happy! They really were going to get her out! It wasn’t an empty promise for the tourists!

Later that night, the entire apt smelled like roasting chicken. We had it with roast potatoes, caramelized carrots in a bit of balsamic vinegar, roast onions and then I made a sauce out of the chicken & vegetable juices mixed with a bit of white wine and cream. It was like we had been locked in jail for 5 years and this was our first meal “out”. Sadly, there wasn’t much conversation as we ate ourselves silly while watching animal planet. The irony was rich.

Yesterday we decided to get tickets to the ballet. We went down with the Smiths who are now absolutely dying with colds. When we got to the box office we were luckily assisted by 2 people in line behind us who offered to help translate what was being said by the ticket man. It seemed that he only had less than a dozen tickets left, and the seats were in the nosebleeds. The Smiths opted to nurse their poor colds at home, but we figured what the hell, and got a pair of tickets. Later that night we were pleased to realize that the seats weren’t bad at all- they were to stage right, on the third balcony- but this wasn’t a new build concert hall- third balcony was still close enough to see nail polish on the ballerinas (happily there was none). The only problem was that some people have no clue about leaning forward in their seats so they’re nearly hanging off the balcony- zero theatre manners- and they weren’t tourists, either. If people just sit properly in their seats, then everyone can see. But the minute one person leans forward to drape themselves over the balcony, then NOBODY can see. Rude, rude, rude. Drives me nuts.

It was Swan Lake, and when it started, I could see the catch-22 of why this ballet company probably must have next to no money: the PAIR of tickets we bought cost less than $10 for BOTH of them (!) but the first act was just terrible. I don’t think you could have charged more than that to see such plain costumes, ugly sets, and a corps de ballet that was clumsy- to just call a spade a spade. They weren’t even in time with each other- forget the addition of the music. It was pretty shocking to say the least. I can’t think that by how unprepared the corps looked that anyone worth their artistic salt would let them near a public stage. Happily the second act got a lot better once the principal dancers appeared, though the sets and costumes still were a bit disappointing until the scene with the dancers at the castle. The ballerina playing the swan princess was miles better than the rest of her company, but by the end she really lost steam which was sad. Also another sad thing that was indicative of the lack of money was the fact that all the dancers, including the prima ballerina- had dirty slippers. The soles were black and the toes were dirty, no fresh pair for each performance here. I guess I notice these things because it’s just how I am, but also because when I was younger I studied ballet at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet with the serious desire to be a professional ballerina. To this day I am sorry I gave it up. But in the end it was probably a saving grace because there aren’t any 5’9 ballerinas in their stocking feet- nevermind the pointe shoes. It still breaks my heart a bit every time I see a ballet or think about it though.

105

The opera house itself was magnificent. The interior had marble staircases and crystal chandeliers, heavy golden sconces and standing floor lamps in front of antique floor to ceiling mirrors in heavily gilded frames. Inside the theatre itself, the domed ceiling was intricately decorated in relief and more 24kt gilding. All of the balcony boxes had wooden chairs with heavy raspberry coloured velvet upholstery with golden hobnail studs. Each balcony box had it’s own paneled door hung with matching velvet drapes. With all of the crystal lights sparkling and catching the gold leaf everywhere and the contrasting heavy silk tassels on the deep red velvet stage drapery, it was like being inside a jewelery box. It was spectacular!

096

097

098

Today we’ll probably hang around home and have a lazy day. I think I’m in the mood to work on a small album I’m making about Kiev that is just for me- not adoption stuff. It’s a grey miserable day outside, perfect for crafty stuff and a bubble bath later and if there is any luck some true crime shows on TV later! It’s either that or more animal planet, and unless it’s the hunky Canadian lion tamer again, I’m not interested, LOL.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca (Bex) BagwellSeptember 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM

    Love these photos! But now I'm dreaming about roasting a chicken. What sort of recipe ya' have over there? :-)

    ReplyDelete